Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- Add all ingredients to list
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Place butter and sugar into the work bowl of a large stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Scrape down attachment and bowl. Add eggs into butter-sugar mixture, one at a time, mixing the first egg in thoroughly before adding the second. Scrape down sides of bowl as you work.
- Beat buttermilk and vinegar into moist ingredients, followed by vanilla extract and red food coloring. Mix until color is even.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and gently whisk by hand until batter is smooth. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let sit in the pan for 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting. Unwrap cupcakes before frosting.