Turkey Fun Facts
- The wild turkey we usually see in photos or pictures is not the same as the domestic turkey that we serve at Thanksgiving.
- Domestic or tame turkeys weigh twice what a wild turkey does and are raised on farms for profit.
- Most domestic turkeys are so heavy they are unable to fly
- The turkey is one of the most famous birds in North America. In fact, Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey, not the Bald Eagle, the national bird of the United States!
- The turkey's popularity comes from the American people's love of eating the bird for special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas.